Re: anacron apm script

Dan Christensen [Freitag, 4. April 2003 05:10]:
>| Anacron isn't a daemon.
Oh. I see. I always thought it is. The init messages look so equal for cron
and anacron. Also i didn't recognize cron.d as debian specific extension to
crontab. Thanks for the lesson.
>  Cron periodically runs anacron, and if on ac
>| power, anacron does its thing.  See /etc/cron.d/anacron.
Yes, I'm not used to read crontabs.
I admit, i still don't get it clearly.... perhaps you can help me ?
Both cron and anacron startup in the last phase of booting, by init.
If on AC power, anacron will do his anacrontab-jobs, and terminating - right
? (that piece i didn't get). Next it would be invoked by cron at 7.30 each
day, according to  /etc/cron.d - probably it's rather next reboot.
>| Again, anacron is restarted periodically, and each time it is started
>| it checks whether it is on ac power.
In summary, anacron starts the 'run-parts' some 15 minutes after booting, but
never on battery power. Even if i run my laptop after midnight, no anacron
would be restarted until 7.30 am. Right ?
First question: How was it possible Dwaine saw his machine running
cronjobs on battery, after midnight ?
Second question: Are there 'battery restricitions' for cron running
/etc/cron.d ? Here i find systat and the exim queue. To what extension, this
jobs ?
>| So everything works as it should.
I don't want to criticise developers, i believe they usual understand
their own stuff better than users. But somehow linux isn't really finished
ever, and enforces people to think, and learn to understand.
That's why i like it.

>| Dan

cu

                          micha.