Re: ACPI blanks screen at the end of the boot process

At 20:38 2003-04-01, Mariano Kamp wrote:
Hi Ivar,

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 18:23, Ivar Alm wrote:
> At 16:41 2003-03-31, mkamp@gmx.de wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> > I compiled 2.4.20 with all ACPI questions answered yes, powermgmt yes and
> >apm no.
> >
> > When booting all looks nice until the very ned. Network seems to be up, at > >least the boot process is past dhcp, but I haven't seen any x-stuff yet and > >then the console blanks and nothing happens anymore. It does not respond to
> >CTRL+ALT+BS and CTRL+ALT+F1 and CTRL+F7.
> >
> >   When compiling with apm and acpi all off, the machine works fine.
>
> Check for ACPI messages in syslog. Check for error messages in dmesg as well.
dmesg does contain the messages from the last boot, doesn't it? In order
to access dmesg I need to reboot with acpi off and don't see anything
relevant in dmesg anymore, do I?

You're right in that probably only syslog contains acpi error messages. I'm not that sure actually. To be honest, I'm not an expert in Linux, not even experienced, but I have acpi, swsusp installed and functional. Battery display and hibernation, so I will try to help as well as I can...

Apr  1 10:15:00 red kdm[435]: Server for display :0 terminated
unexpectedly
Apr  1 10:15:00 red kdm[435]: Display :0 is being disabled (restarting
too fast)

Been googling that? I found several hits when doing that, but haven't so far read them in detail.

> > When compiling with acpi off and apm on, the machine works fine and does
> >even suspend when closing the lid. So a) Any idea, why acpi does blank my
> >screen and b) what are the reasons to switch to acpi? Afaik suspend
> >wouldn't work
> >with acpi, would it?
>
> When you mean suspend, I assume you mean suspend to disk, also called
> hibernate?
Well, I am pretty open in that respect ;-) To be honest I don't have a
clue. The opposite would be to suspend to ram, right?
I haven't set aside a dedicated partition on my disk for suspending. If
it is not doing it implicitly (swap space or something), than I would
say I use suspend to ram, right? It doesn't take long to suspend, just 3
to 4 seconds and I've got 256MB ram. That also adds to my assumption
that I am suspending to ram.

Afaik suspend to ram is not supposed to work with 2.4 kernels. The 2.5 kernels are working with that, and hopefully we will se a functional suspend to ram in the 2.6 kernel.

> That works fine with swsusp and the scripts that follows.
swsup with acpi? Which script?

Here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/swsusp/

Check that page and the project homepage. The documentation sux, but that are details we could handle then. This page contains a kernel patch, both for the vanilla and the acpi patched kernel, as well as a few scripts for hibernation and battery monitoring. These scripts are supposed to run with an --install switch and then install themselves in /usr/local/sbin, and put config files in /etc. The editing I had to do were fixes to get my nic up after resume and a few more things. The best thing you can do is to compile with the patc, install the hibernation (and/or) the battery scripts and try. If it works - happy you, if not - send us a mail. :)

I also use acpid ( a deb package i think ) that monitors acpi events, like lid close, pwr button etc, and can execute scripts according to events. This way I have a shutdown script coupled to the pwr button event.
Check http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpid/

This might be somwthing to start with.
I still have no answer to your first prob, but try googling the error messages.

//I
Ivar Alm             ! Where does Microsoft want to drag you today? !
Umeå, Sweden         ! Do you really want to go there?              !
http://www.octofingers.com