keymap install on Thinkpad?

Just installing my Cheapbytes Woody disks on my Thinkpad R32.  This is
supposed to be relative cake.

Well, first it kept saying "loading /etc/console/boottime/kmap" so often I
thought it was stuck.

Now it keeps telling me "gzip: stdout: no space left on device."  The
device is a 27 Gig HD, partitioned into 200 MB bootable, 100 MB swap, and
the rest user space.

Oh, now I get "open: no space left on device."

If this has cleared up by the time I hear from anyone, apologies for
wasting bandwidth.

On the other hand, if anyone can advise me regarding this or other
hassles, please do so.

Thanks!

--
Known oxymorons: entertainment news, youth culture, focus group.
Probationary: intellectual courage, organized religion, deferred gratification.