Re: Wifi Cards for Linux?

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 02:39:57 -0800
Andre Eisenbach <andre@eisenbach.com> wrote:

> Am Montag 24 März 2003 23:16 schrieb Jon:
> > My question is, what is the best and easiest 802.11b PCMCIA card to
> > buy for linux these days?  Linksys?
>
> The Orinoco Wavelan cards are IMHO still the easiest to install and
> best performers.
>
> I currently use a SMC wireless card though. And while it wasn't the
> easiest to install, it is performing well and was dirt cheap ($39).

I use prism II based cards with the orinoco drivers.  That way it's
cheap and easy to set up.  I bought Proxim RangeLAN-DS cards from
justdeals.com for about 40 bucks each, but I don't think they carry them
anymore.  Right now my cards of choice are 200 mW SENAO cards from
abertek (http://aberinfo.goos.com/index.shtml).  There is a model with
two external antenna connectors, but if you don't have an external
antenna, it doesn't work as well.  The other model has a larger built-in
antenna.  Also, these cards appear to be rebadges, but I don't know who
the original manufacturer was.  dump_cis gives me "INTERSIL"
"HFA384x/IEEE" "Version 01.02" "".  No mention of any manufacturer other
than Intersil.  I'm guessing that these are basically the same as
Intersil's referrence design.  They are 200 mW cards though.

--
Chas Becht
mailto:chasbecht@hotpop.com      (Public Key available on request)