debian cannot find cdrom

I'm not sure if this is specific to laptops, but when installing debian woody 2.2.20 & bf2.4 after doing initial install of kernel debian cannot find my cdrom. it seems that the relevant modules are not being installed/configured/compiled.
The links from /cdrom /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc are correct (i have read that this is often a problem)

when I lsmod there are no modules that match cdrom or ide-cd.

how do I go about installing the correct modules so that I can continue the installation?

cheers,

Ben.
Asus l3800c laptop
1.7Ghz Intel processor