Re: Samsung Q10 Boot from Firewire/iee1394

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:32:10 +0100 (MET)
mkamp@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I just bought a Samsung Q10, a really nice and slick subnotebook.
> Unfortunately I don't have a clue how to get debian on it.
>
>   It boots fine from the woody cd-rom and let's me format the drives
>   etc.,
> but when it comes down to load kernel modules it doesn't know where to
> turn to. When issuing "mount" I don't see the cdrom connected(?) by
> firewire. I haven't been able to google something useful.

  If I understand correctly, you are installing from an external
(firewire) cd-rom.  When you get to the loading modules step, you need
to read data from the cd-rom, but don't have support for it yet.  You
could try to see if knoppix supports the drive, and then see what
modules are loaded.  Whatever information you could get from a llinux
system that works with that drive could be helpful in setting it up in
debian.  Also, you could try installing from a different source.  You
could do a network install or load the modules you need from a floppy.

  To provide any more specific help, I would need to know more about the
drive you are trying to get support for.  Perhaps someone else on list
knows more about firewire drives than I do though.

--
Chas Becht
mailto:chasbecht@hotpop.com      (Public Key available on request)