Re: regd iwconfig

    "Vijaya" == Vijaya Nirmala <nirmala@tataelxsi.co.in> writes:

    Vijaya> Hello.  I'm trying to set up an access point .  I'm using
    Vijaya> Debian 2.4.18 version

Are you trying to set up the access point, or are are you trying to
set up your wireless client?

    Vijaya>  but i have a problem when i use command iwconfig wlan0
    Vijaya> essid Testig channel 4 , this command fails can any one
    Vijaya> tell me what should be done to make this work ??

Tell us exactly what the error message is, and what software you are
using. To make this work your wireless LAN card must be supported by
the drivers you have (is it PCMCIA? PCI?), it must have been detected
and initialized (what does 'ifconfig wlan0' say?), and the user
executing the command must have appropriate authority (are you
root?).

Incidentally, it is much easier to use the /etc/network/interfaces
file to set up your wireless card than to type in the iwconfig
commands each time. Search the archives. For example

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2002/debian-laptop-200211/msg00490.html

Cheers!
Shyamal