Re: Hibarnation / lphdisk / Destroyed MBR (solved)

A ps to this topic:

(It was a dell inspiron 5000, BIOS A08, bootloader grub.
The Question was  why creating the hibernation partition as physically
(outer) first of all did damage the bootloader,  when performing
BIOS-hibernation.)
I read the grub manual (partly ;-), and found a hint.
I mailed the idea already to bug-grub.
The stage1 loader is located in the MBR, as usual;  this loads the next
peice, the  'stage 1.5'  loader;  this one capable of reading filesystems. It
loads the full featured stage2 ( with menu chooser and a nice shell before
any kernel ) then. Now stage1.5 can be embedded into 'the unused sectors
after right the Master Boot Record' ( listening to stage1.5 error message
no.34 ), but there's no further explanation about that.
Maybe these sectors weren't no more unused then, after the BIOS writing it's
data....

Tony Godshall:
> The last primary doubles as the home for the extended
> partitions.  If you use up all the primaries (four, I
> think), you can't define any extended.
Got lots of logicals ;-) They were created physically 'linear' from the
scratch, and replace the 'virtual' extended hda4. As usual.
So it seems either to be a impossible to create a logical backwards
(outwards) over the primaries to the beginning, or there's a size limit to be
bigger than 20MB.  Afaicr i tried that value.
Anyway it was no problem at all, and i just trusted cfdisk there.

--

                          micha.