Re: CD-reader on SONY VAIO SR27K

Perhaps a DMA issue ?
You can try the hdparm stuff from
http://www.exocore.com/technologies/linux/rhl71dma/

Also lookup /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt (from line 200)
and the dir cdrom there (if there's something about your model),
because several ide chipsets are known to be buggy or at least 'special'.
For some of them exist additional kernel options or bootparameters.

Sorry, I didn't follow the thread; perhaps you already posted this stuff.
What does 'dmesg' boottime detection say about ?
Have a look at 'idetool' from Alan Cox; e.g. easy to disable dma
lspci -v
hdparm -v
hdparm -I
mount -o async (but should be default)
How's your BIOS setup (irq's)
Also check the jumpering (if exist) on the drive's back
sometimes on mine, ther's a jumper thing for the ide-cable aslo.
Try to find a manual or installation guide, generally.

--

                          micha.