RE: Woody on Sony Vaio PCG-GRX500

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 12:50, asubedi wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> Sorry to bother you. I am thinking of installing Debian woody again using "net
> install". If I do that, will I be able to download and install newer packages
> like XFree86 4.2 and KDE 3.1 rather than having to install old versions and
> then update? Thank you.

Like most things in Debian, this depends. :) If you install just plain
"woody" at install time, you will have to download X, KDE, etc,
separately later. On the other hand, if you install the "testing" or
"unstable" distributions right away from the woody net-install discs
(which I think is possible, just change "stable" to "unstable" in your
configuration during install), you will get X 4.2 and KDE 3.1. (X 4.2 is
in testing and unstable; KDE 3.1 is only in unstable). Just remember to
change "stable" to "unstable" before you start downloading packages.

If you choose to run unstable or testing, you should be familiar with
the risks as well as the benefits -
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.en.html#s-dirtree contains
information what exactly makes "unstable" unstable and "testing"
testing.

> P.S. I am new to the mailing list "thingie". Let me know if I voilated any
> etiquette by replying directly to you rather than replying to the mailing
> list.

In general, replies should go to the list. If someone wants something
specifically mailed to them instead of or in addition to the list, they
should request it either in the email text itself, or via various email
headers (the most popular, supported by mutt, is Mail-Followup-To:).
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>