Woody on Sony PCG-FX140

Hi, folks, my first post to the list.

I know that this system is a bit older than some of the other Sonys
mentioned here.  I've been using SuSe on this system going back to
7.1 with minor difficulties.  Since SuSe 8.0, I've had no problems
whatsoever.  We've been doing a lot more Linux work of late, so I
thought I'd give Debian a go on the notebook.  The install goes just
fine, network is great (I can do the over-the-network install), but X
barfs with the i810 server (the system has an Intel 82815 graphics
controller).

OK, what's got me confused is why SuSe comes up fine with the i810
stuff and Debian doesn't.  I've looked at the docs and even went out
to xfree86.org and installed the latest from there on top of the
Debian distribution.  Still no luck.

Questions:

1.  Am I doing or missing something blatantly obvious?
2.  What is it about SuSe that's making it work when Debian barfs?
3.  Is there a good article/FAQ/howto on X with the 82815 anywhere?

TIA, folks...I'm enjoying this list.

Cheers,
Ed.
--