Re: Mail (smtp) config at different locations. Script or ..?

Joao Pedro Clemente (jpcl@rnl.ist.utl.pt) had this to say on 03/10/03 at 21:10:

> > Joao Pedro Clemente (jpcl@rnl.ist.utl.pt) had this to say on 03/09/03 at 22:35:
> >
> > > As I'm the single user of my laptop, this seems a overkill:
> > > - I only fetch mail of 1 user (me) from my [1] pop3 account.
> >
> > Don't use POP, use IMAP. Then you won't need to fetch, and all the mail is always avaialable,
> > regardless of client.
>
> How's that? AFAIK, every client would try to get an server "copy" each
> time I would access a folder/mail. If I used kmail and read my mail, and
> then later I used mutt, then I would need to get back online to read the
> mail again... right? Or for that matter, i would only need to close kmail
> and then open it again, and all my imap mail would be gone, and I would
> have no change but to resync again...

No resync necessary. Yes, you have to be online (to your IMAP server, *not*
to the Internet, necessarily - you could dial direct to your IMAP server, if
you set it up that way). Your IMAP mail is never gone, as it is always kept
on the server. And the offline IMAP mentioned earlier might negate the need
to be connected to your IMAP server, in order to read mail.