Re: gnome does not start

Praveen Kallakuri wrote:
| hello guys,
|
| since the last 2 days, i have't had a window manager working. i had lost
| gnome when i installed some msttcorefonts. after a couple of days of
| posting on mailing lists and trying everything i could, i finally
| removed everything xfree-, gnome-, etc and started afresh. effectively,
| i had the /etc/X11 dir almost empty. i know a lot of that is linked to
| in /usr/X11R6/libs but not sure how much. what i want to say is, i did
| not empty the latter. but i purged all x-related packages from dselect
| in order to start off afresh. to continue, i still have the same problem
| i had before.
|
| anwyays now, i have gnome2.2 (the woody backport created by James
| Strandboge). i have xfree86 4.2.1 backport for woody, again from
| people.debian.org/~blade/woody/i386.
|
| 1. i have a desktop manager (xdm) that starts up ok.
|
| 2. i enter my login/passwd
|
| 3. gnome2 starts, i see gnome2 try to start but it immediately aborts
| and comes back to xdm.
|
| i have been seeing this same behavior right since the time the problem
| started. having done what all i did, i think the problem is neither with
| X nor with gnome2. its something else.
|
| can someone tell me where to check next? or if i need to supply
| something more, please ask. mail me directly if you wish coz i am going
| to see the end of this tonight
|
| thanks

hey guys. thanks for all your help. i finally got it. the problem
apparently was with all the font packages that i was installing and
removing. after abt 3 days of trying everything, i followed one advice i
got from Sebastian Henschel. he had actually recommended it for some
nautilus problem i was previously getting. obviously some previous
libraries had not been removed. i am attaching his email:

- --------------
hi there..

Received at 2003-03-06 / 00:22 by Praveen Kallakuri:

| nautilus: relocation error: /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined
| symbol: FT_Get_First_Char

looks like you have an old freetype on your system.
check the files libfreetype* in /usr/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib and delete
the older ones (or move them away).
if i recollect correctly, there was a little packaging bug, where a new
version of the package did not delete the old libs.

hth,
~ sebastian
- -- ::: sebastian henschel ::: kodeaffe ::: lynx -source
http://www.kodeaffe.de/shensche.pub | gpg --import
i got back my gnome working after i removed some previous libfreetype*
files in /usr/X11R6/lib.

mannnn!  i am a happy guy. there are obvisouly lot of unstable packages
going around. hope this posting helps someone else sometime.

and michael, thanks for that loads of stuff you have me on mobility-m6.
i will let you know success\failures with that.

happy debian-ing guys