problems with mounting/playing cd's

I notice strange behaviour with mounting/playing audio CDs on my laptop's drive:

Sometimes I have problems with mounting cd's/dvd's on my CD/CDR/DVD drive (laptop: Compaq Armada M700; drive: H-L GCC-4240N 24x DVD/CDR/CDRW). Kernel doesn't seem to recognize the device (messages like: /dev/cdrom: unknown device). But after reloading all neccessary modules, the drive works perfect: I can mount/play cd's etc.

That isn't really critical, as I can use the drive; I was just wondering what could be the cause for this strange behaviour...

--
Lukasz