Re: CD-reader on SONY VAIO SR27K [+ kernel compile]

<blair.kelly@att.net> writes:

> Andre Eisenbach suggested:
>
> > First thing I noticed is "hdc".
> > On my notebook, the CD-ROM is /dev/hde
> >
> > Try that, and let me know.
>
> That did not work.
>
> Andre Eisenbach also suggested:
>
> Here is some more info from my installation:
>
> > I have the ide_cs driver compiled into the kernel (not as
> > module) - not that that makes a difference. Though judging
> > from your log, I assume that kernel options are responsible
> > for your problem.
> >
> > Did you compile your own kernel? If so, what's the
> > config? If not, well you should :D. It will allow you to
> > enable sony's interrupt controller as well (to enabe the
> > key combos and the jog-dial).
>
> I fear that Andre is correct, that I will need to recompile
> my kernel.
>
> I was reading PCMCIA HOWTO from pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net
> and found that my problem matches section 3.2 "Some client
> driver modules do not load".  Upon looking at
> /etc/pcmcia/config, I found the entry
>
> card "Ninja ATA"
>   version " ", "NinjaATA-"
>   bind "ide_cs"
>
> Now 'insmod ide_cs' gave the response "no module by that
> name".  Upon looking in /lib/modules/2.4.18-686/pcmcia
> I saw 'ide-cs.o" but no "ide_cs.o".
>
> Doing 'insmod ide-cs' gives "ide-cs: GetFirstTuple: No more items".
>
> Looking at the "PCMCIA in the 2.4 kernel series" says that
> for ide-cs, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS must be set in the kernel
> configuration.
>
> I am using the 2.4.18-686 kernel that came with my distribution.
> In the config file, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS is not set.
>
> So as I said, I am afraid that I must recompile my kernel.
>
> I am afraid of recompiling my kernel because all my previous
> attempts to do so have been disasterous - requiring a complete
> reinstall.  I find the various HOWTOs and hints for kernel
> compilation inconsistent and lacking in details.
>
> For example, my understanding of the kernel recompile
> process is
>
> 1. unpack the source
> 2. make clean
> 3. make mrproper
> 4. copy old config file, make changes, then 'make oldconfig'
> 5. make dep
> 6. edit Makefile, set EXTRAVERSION=[some extension]
> 7. make
> 8. make bzImage
> 9. cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-[version/extension]
> 10. cp System.map /boot/System.map-[version/extension]
> 11. mv System.map System.map.old
> 12. mv vmlinuz vmlinuz.old
> 13. ln -s System.map-[version/extension] System.map
> 14. ln -s vmlinuz-[version/extension] vmlinuz
> 15. /sbin/lilo
>
> Yet where in this process must I do
>
> M1. make modules
> M2. make modules_install
>
> I have seen various recommendations.  So what is the
> earliest that I can do it ... and the latest?
>
> Another question is that in my /boot directory there
> is a boot.b link to /boot/boot-menu.b and
> [...]

Some things to try:

Do you get a boot prompt?  If so, then try "boot LinixOLD" to boot from
the old kernel.  If that doesn't seem to work, you might try creating
a boot floppy from the old kernel and booting from that:

  #  dd if=/boot/vmlinuz.old of=/dev/fd0

If you haven't changed anything in /etc/lilo.conf, you might be able
re-link /vmlinuz to the old kernel image, and have it boot.

RTFM the LILO manual, and re-configure to create a multi-boot prompt
(make a boot floppy first, of course  ).

In normal builds, I do the "make modules" and "make modules_install"
after "make."  Or, in one bashish command:

# make && make modules && make modules_install

HTH

--
UnixODBC.pm - http://unixodbc-pm.org