Mouse

I'm having trouble getting the touchpad on my laptop to work under debian woody
My laptop is a Gateway Solo 1200, and it has a synaptic

when i used dpkg-reconfigure on xserver-xfree86 and set it up as a default ps/2 mouse, the cursor only moved about in about a 640 x 480 section of the screen (im running in 800 x 600 mode), and the actual selection point of the mouse is several inches off from where the cursor is (i.e. when i move as far over to the bottom right as i can i can click on the bottom right part of the screen, even though the cursor is not there) when i set it to GlidePoint, the cursor was still bounded to the small box, but it moved very very slowly about

then i tried using gpm to run my mouse, and so i set it to its default settings and the cursor only moved left and right and clicked randomly when i moved around so i tried configuring it to be specifically like my mouse (the synaptics settings, i tried both) and the mouse didnt respond at all

what do you suggest?

Robert