XFree86 on Vaio GRX416G not running

I all,

I'm very new to Linux and tried to install
a debian 3.0r1 on my laptop (Sony Vaio
with ATI Mobility Radeon 7500).

Basic configuration with (ether)network runs fine.

In the Tasksel I marked the desktop and laptop options,
and hoped to get a graphical working enironment :-(

After a while I recognized that I had to install a
Xserver, so I tried to install:

apt-get install xserver-xfree86

This command installed a 4.2.1 version of xfree,
but after rebooting the system and starting xserver
via gdm automatically, I run into errors once again.

Error messages mentioned that no screens where found...

Any idea what to install for a basic debian with kde
or gnome on a vaio with ati radeon?

I just need to run a webserver and a browser on this
installation, no games or the like...

best regards
norbert