Re: DELL Inspiron and some problems

Alex Malinovich wrote:
On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 08:01, Karsten Rothemund wrote:

Hello *

I have a big problem with a DELL Inspiron 8100. After nearly a year
working with this machine running Debian Woody, I suddenly had some
problems with the fans. After a suspend-to-RAM, and the wake-up 5
Minutes later, it startet with running both at full speed - even after
I cooled down the computer for more than an hour (so I'm sure, it is
not too hot).

This happens all the time on my Inspiron 8000. As far as I've been able
to track the problem, it happens when you change power modes while the
laptop is suspended. i.e. Pulling out the AC cord or inserting it while
the laptop is suspended. A reboot stops that problem, though it's not
exactly convenient. An updated BIOS might help, but Dell laptops have
notoriously bad BIOSs. For every 1 feature they fix, they usually break
another 3.

Pressing Fn-Z will cause the BIOS to re-read temperature sensor(s), which will stop the fans this (it works on my 4100 anyway.)