XFree86 4.2.1 on Laptop

I use the blade woody backport of XFree86 4.2.1 on a Compaq Presario
900 series laptop. The specs of the LCD I got from compaq is max resolution
of 1024x768 at 72 -or- 75, I normally run it with the vesa driver and set
the resolution at 1024x768@75, but if an app like Bumprace, Clanbomber..etc
that goes full screen it looks like crap.  I tried changing to lower res using
CTRL+ALT +/-  and it looks the same.. diagonal lines and stuff.. however if
I set X to use 640x480@72 or 800x600@72 and restart X the desktop looks
fine, but clanbomber still looks crappy. I'd like to know what I can do about
this, and maybe how I could use all those settings I mentioned that work for
me.  I tried using modelines, but that didnt do it.

Also cant get my ATI Mobility U1 to work with anything other than the vesa
driver.. the ATI driver just shows a black screen and locks up the system.
I tried using all the configs from the Bisente Linux on Presario 905EA such
as the "Noaccel" as he says it works for him. but it doesnt work here.