pcmcia network install on nec versa ultralite

I'm sort of an idiot, but I can't figure out how to install Debian on my
new-to-me ultraportable NEC Versa Ultralite (model# VUB6BCE-00B-000 --
it's got a 600MHz Transmeta Crusoe processor).  The CD-ROM is USB-based
and apparently not supported by the current USB CD images, so I'm figuring
I'll have to do a network install.  But I have no idea how to get
networking working.  There is a PCMCIA option in the install menu, but I
can't get it to do anything.  FWIW I'm trying to install a b24 kernel.