Re: Thinkpad 560,need Hints/Experiences

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:37:35PM +0100, Andreas wrote:
> i'm planning to reactivate an old IBM Thinkpad 560 with P5/100 16 MB
> Ram, and would like to hear your suggestions regarding (is running X
> possible ?) or are there any Links you can give to me ?

I strongly recommend trying to add the maximum memory to it (32MB plus
8MB onboard, for a total of 40MB).  It will make a huge difference.

I also recommend the tpctl package and its kernel modules.

I found it usable with X, using a lightweight window manager and
mostly text-based apps.  Gnome and Galeon/Mozilla were intolerable.

These days I use it as a wireless gateway for my home LAN -- it's up
all the time, and has proven very reliable.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u