Re: starting blackbox with woody - how?

Robert Michel <Robert.Michel@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> On Monday, 17. February 2003 00:26, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 12:06:18AM +0100, Robert Michel wrote:
> > > Is there a chance to start bb with the Gnome Window Manager,
> > > or is bb to start manualy?
>
> Salve  hugH,
> thank you for helping. I was wrong, not Gnome Window Manager,
> I wanted to say Gnome Display Manager.
>
> > put which ever window manager you like in ~/.xsession
> >

>  ~/ should be the home-dir of the user?
> - well this does not work.

In my experience, if you use gdm, .xsession is ignored if you choose
"X session" (which would be the obvious choice) from the session
menu. You have to use "Debian session" for it to use .xsession. One
would think it should be the other way around.

That is if you use gdm for display manager. If you are using xdm,
.xsession is read. If it (and possibly other files like .xclients,
.xinitrc etc?) doesn't exist, I think Windowmaker or something is
started.