fan problem

Hello,

I have a problem with my laptop, an Asus L3800S. When I boot,
if the fans are not already running, they will never work. As
a consequence, the system doesn't cool down and it halts. I
wait a few seconds and I start again my computer. As the fans
are now running (they trigger when it boots), they aren't any
problem anymore.
Is there a way to control the fans ? Why don't they start
running automatically when the system heats ?

I have Debian SID, kernel 2.4.19 with acpi modules loaded.

Thank you for your help.

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,13 ?/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34?/mn)"