Re: airline travel with hitech gear? (a bit offtopic)

    "David" == David Z Maze <David> writes:

    David> Joris <joris@linux.be> writes:
    >> I know it has little to do with debian on laptops (altough a
    >> non-windows OS booting meight look suspecious to customs), but:
    >>
    >> What advice can experienced travellers give me on flying with a
    >> laptop?

    David> Airport security *in the United States only* wants you to
    David> take your laptop out of your bag and have it X-rayed

Last night airport security at Montreal's Dorval airport asked me to
do the same. But this was on the other side of US Immigration, past
the "Welcome to the United States" signs, so I'm not sure if I was
still in Canada ;-)

To the original poster: travelling with a laptop is no big deal. Just
be prepared to take it out when asked. I have never been asked to boot
it yet. Admittedly I have not travelled internationally as much as I
used to since the 9/11 terrorism (though it has had more to do with
the slow economy), but I have never been asked to turn on my laptop
yet anywhere in the last 5 - 8 years or so.

Cheers!
Shyamal