Re: airline travel with hitech gear? (a bit offtopic)

[...]

Derek> The last time I flew (Christmas) they didn't care about powering
Derek> it up - but they actually used some kind of sniffer.

Yup, same here.  Actually, a couple of flights, they didn't even use the
sniffer -- just xrayed my machine, and let me through.  But this is
Canada, and there's not too much worry about terrorists here.  If you're
flying to the US, though, a would expect it to be a different story.

Derek> I always thought it would be trivial to fill a laptop with
Derek> explosives and enough ROM & battery to make it look like it was
Derek> working.

You can even use a stock laptop, but fill one of your peripherals with
explosives.  Getting around airport security is pretty trivial.  (You
can even go to the Tim Horton's in the gate area, and get an orange
juice.  It comes in a nice glass bottle, that can be easily turned into
a cutting instrument.)  Great, after posting this, I bet CSIS (the
Canadian intelligence agency) will be knocking on my door.

[...]

>> Often they will wait for it to "boot Windows" and you have to explain
>> to them that is never going to happen and that it runs Linux.

Derek> Never had that happen in Canada.

Same here.  I've flown to the US a couple times too, and they only ever
cared about the manufacturer's splash screen.  Mind you, I haven't flown
to the US after Sept. 11.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA