Re: make-kpkg, was: Getting PCMCIA to work?

I use make-kpkg to build several versions of a kernel, and this for me is
much simpler: edit Makefile and define Extraversion as the date, so today
Extraversion=.0209.

If I made more than one version today I could extend it with .020901 or
something.

This has several desirable consequences:
 1. I don't need to screw around with symlinks. Each kernel has a unique
name, and the boot loader knows it by that name. In the boot menu kernels
are shown in order from newest to oldest. 2. Each kernel has its own
/lib/modules tree and I don't need to worry about overwriting an old one
before I'm ready -- it's installed or removed along with its kernel. 3. I
use grub, so I have configured kernel-package to run update-grub whenever
I install or remove a kernel package.

I realize this isn't the Official Debian Way, but it works better for me.

Kevin