Re: Netgear MA401 (wireless network card) trouble

Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz> writes:

> On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 00:36, Weinzierl Stefan wrote:
> > Karl Eklund schrieb:
> > > Sometimes (maybe once every day) the transfer speed goes down to about
> > > 12 kB/s (the connection is much faster) and it's slow to do several
> > > things at the same time (for example, an SSH terminal session becomes
> > > very slow if files are transferred at the same time). It is remedied
> > > by pulling out the card and inserting it again.  It has been going on
> > > since I installed the card, with Linux versions 2.4.18, 2.4.19 and
> > > 2.4.20.  Is this a known problem?
> >
> > Yes :)
> >
> > You need the new Orinoco-Drivers Version 0.13, in the Kernel is still
> > Version 0.11 which has the failure, you described.
>
> Maybe I'm seeing a different failure with my DWL-650 then.  On the
> strength of your post I downloaded the 0.13 drivers and patched them
> into the kernel and pcmcia source trees.
>
> Alas, my rebuilt kernel sees the same problem as all the other kernels I
> have built since the 2.4.17 one I am sticking with for now.
>
> I monitor the WLAN with wmwave, and immediately I do a lot of network
> traffic (scp a directory full of .ogg files :-) I see the "Link" quality
> rapidly approach zero and my scp session comes up stalled after a little
> over 1MB.
>
> With previous builds (i.e. 0.11 drivers) I could extract and reinsert
> the card at this point, but with these I was unlucky and got a complete
> lockup.

(Sorry about late answer, but I haven't had time to experiment with
this until now)

I've tried installing the Orinoco drivers 0.13a (I suppose it is
these: http://ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/). I don't know if I did
anything wrong but what I did was just make/make install in the
orinoco-0.13a directory. (I had a kernel source tree that was built
and installed.) I had this same problem, when I started up the
computer, the transfer speed was still 10kB/s, and when I pulled out
the card and reinserted it again, the system stopped responding
(hanged).

Should the modules be deselected in the "make menuconfig" before the
orinoco 0.13 is built? Does pcmcia-cs (this is the userland tools, no
drivers, right?) need to be patched too? I use the Debian package of
pcmcia-cs.

I've also tried using 2.4.17 (without the orinoco drivers 0.13) but it
works just like 2.4.20: Every time the system has started up, and only
then, I have to remove the card and put it in again to make the
transfer speed normal. I don't think the problem appears again when
running, I just have to do this once.

I haven't tried with 2.5.* yet. Had some trouble compiling it last
time I tried.