Re: Making the power button smarter?

maybe tldp can help:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Battery-Powered/powermgm.html

the general outline of steps you may have to follow is:

1. find out whether BIOS supports APM or ACPI (i believe most of the newer laptop models come with acpi)

2. make sure that your kernel includes support of the approp power management mode

3. then check either /proc/apm or /proc/acpi

if i were you. i'd just build a new kernel disablinb APM support and building ACPI (its nice to have fan, thermal, ac_adapter, etc as modules rather than built into the kernel.) then check whether your acpi tables have been built correctly in dmesg. if your kernel panics, well either you have to find a different version of acpi or stay with apm.

and finally, yes you can make the power button nicely shutdown the machine if you have acpi events working.