HDD not spinning down

I've been working on this issue for some time now.  I'm running a
Testing system and I want to hard drive to spin down when it's idle.
This worked nicely for me under Woody, but something has changed and I
can't figure it out.

I run noflushd, and when I set the idle time to 3 minutes, the HDD
will spin down for about 1.5 minutes before spinning back up.  I've
testing idle times of 5 minutes and more, but the HDD never spins
down.

I run a couple of scripts to see what files and directories are being
accessed that are less that 5 minutes old:

#!/bin/bash
find / -mount -type f -mmin -5
find /usr -mount -type f -mmin -5
find /home -mount -type f -mmin -5

#!/bin/bash
find / -mount -mmin -5
find /usr -mount -mmin -5
find /home -mount -mmin -5

and I always see the same files and dirs:

/var/spool/postfix/public/pickup
/var/spool/postfix/public/qmgr
/var/spool/cups/certs
/var/spool/cups/certs/0

If I stop cups and postfix, noflushd will spin the hard drive down and
it'll stay down for a good long time, till I start another program or
something that accesses the drive.

I've been looking at the config files for cups and postfix, but I
haven't figured out what I might do to stop them from hitting the HDD
so often.

So now, to my questions:

1. What config changes might I make to help the situation?

2. If postfix can't be changed, what might replace postfix to solve my
   problem?  I'm not so concerned about cups since I don't need to
   print during the times I want the HDD to spin down, so I'll just
   stop it.

thanks,
jc

--