apm sleep doesn't work under 2.4.19 and 2.4.20

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to new kernel sources, from Debian's 2.4.18
kernel, but find that under both 2.4.19 and 2.4.20 (sources from the
Linux kernel archives, not Debian), I cannot put my Dell Inspiron 7500
to sleep. The Fn-Suspend keys don't work, and neither does #apm -s (as
root). Instead I get the messages:

apm: Input/output error (on my terminal)

apm: suspend: Interface not connected (in dmesg)

and

apm: display: Interface not connected (on my console)

This looks a lot like Debian bug #142940, which was closed several
months ago, but, from what I can tell, without any satisfactory
resolution or solution. The suggestion was that this is a problem with
cardctl (in the pcmcia-cs package). However, I get the problem with my
pcmcia card ejected, and no pcmcia scripts anywhere near /etc/apm/...
Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Angus.
--
Angus McMorland, PhD Student
Respiratory Neurophysiology / Multiphoton & Confocal Imaging