cdrw/dvd, hdparm, and ide-scsi

So I got a new laptop recently (the aforementioned Sotec 3120x, howto will
be coming in a bit time permitting) and I was going around setting
everything up and optimizing - as one is want to do.

I got dvd playback working - the audio would have to resync every couple
of seconds - so I used hdparm and tweaked /dev/hdc out a bit so it was
optimized - dvds played flawlessly.  threw it in /dev/init.d/hwtools.

then I go to setup cdrw (same drive, it's a dvd/cdrw drive) - this, as far
as I know, requires ide-scsi (maybe there is a way to make it work
without, that's just more difficult?) - so I compile that in and give lilo
more to the append saying hdc=ide-scsi.  I cdrecord -scanbus and
everything's kosher.

then I goto watch a dvd, change my symlink to point to /dev/sr0 as that's
now the location for the drive - and fire it up.  I get a few audio resync
errors - same dvd i've been using in all my tests.  Okay - fine, hdparm
ran against /dev/hdc which doesn't exist as far as my current booted
system knows.  No worries, I'll run it on /dev/sr0 and change the hwtools
script.

Nope.

hdparm is for ide only.  It won't run (probably quite rightly) on /dev/sr0
- so are there any easy options for me?  The way I see it, I have:

figure a way to use burning with it still in ide mode - this could be a
weird bunch of stuff, or perhaps using ide-scsi as a module and somehow
forcing reinit of /dev/hdc (is this possible? seems like the best method)

boot into a special mode to watch dvd's or burn cdrw's - whichever I deem
less likely to be wanted (super sub-optimal)

figure out a way to get the equivalent of hdparm for the cdrom with some
manner of scsi tools (no idea, anyone?)

I appreciate any feedback on this, I've jumped through some neat hoops
that I'll definately be posting somewhere on the web so others may not
have to.

-Martin
(linux 2.4.20 kernel, sis 630 video chipset, debian 3.0 testing)

Oh, one last thing - shouldn't a high-resolution console look different? I
have sisfb compiled in and my append includes:
	video=sisfb:mode:1024x768x16,mem:12288
which seems to me like it should be setting the console to a high
resolution videomode... but on boot it's running normal and dmesg says
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25

 -----
This email has been sent as a single line of query, and in no way
indicates the senders interest in or acceptance of any promotions or
"opt-in"'s unless otherwise EXPRESSLY noted.