nec versa ultralite 600MHz transmeta install

I have an nec versa ultralite sublaptop. The model number is very compicated, but it has a 600MHz Crusoe processor. I have been having a hard time installing Debian. I bought a set of official CDs only to learn that my USB-based CD-ROM drive is not supported by them. So I tried to use a USB-enabled boot CD, but that didn't work either. So now I'm thinking I should try to install via my PCMCIA network card, at least to get the USB drivers so that I can do the rest by CD (I hope the fact that Eduard Bloch's USB netinst image didn't work for me doesn't indicate that my CD-ROM drive is completely unsupported by Debian; that would be awful!). Anyway, it's not clear to me what image I need to download and how to proceed. I'm sure this is some kind of FAQ, but I've spent a significant amount of time looking for the answer without success. The system will boot from CD-ROM; the problem is that then Linux doesn't recognize the CD-ROM drive, so all I can do is set up a swap partition and root filesystem. I want a "bf2.4" image so I can use Reiserfs. Thanks.