Re: X locks also my machine

Hi Norman,

> during starting X (xdm, startx,X,...)
> the screen turns black. and the machine don't accepts any commands.
> no alt+f1 no cntrl+alt+delete no nothing.

try Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6] to switch to a virtual console. Or try
Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace to shutdown the X server (this can be turned on/off
in /etc/X11/XF86Config, though).

> i'm "using" a fresh debian-woody-stable install (2.4 kernel) on a dell latitude
> cpi d266xt laptop with neomagic video (is/should be supported by both shipped
> version -XFree 3 and XFree 4.). no other operation system, no crazy extra-
> devices.

> any clue?

my Toshiba Portege 3020 has a NeoMagic 2160 chipset. It definitely needs
two options "XaaNoScanLine.." for the "neomagic" driver module or it won't
work at all. My "Device" section in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "MagicGraph"
        VendorName      "NeoMagic"
        Driver          "neomagic"
	# next two lines strictly necessary !
        Option          "XaaNoScanlineImageWriteRect"
        Option          "XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill"
        Option     	"accel"
        #Option         "XaaNoPixmapCache"
        #Option         "XaaNoScreenToScreenCopy"
        #Option "XaaNoSolidFillRect"
        #BusID          "PCI:0:4:0"
        #BoardName      "NM2160"
	#    Chipset    "NM2160"
	#    IOBase     0xfea00000
	#    MemBase    0xfd000000
	#   VideoRam   2048
	#    DacSpeed   90
	#    Option     "linear"
	#    Option     "nolinear"
	#    Option     "sw_cursor"
	#    Option     "hw_cursor"
	#    Option     "intern_disp"
	#    Option     "extern_disp"
	#    Option     "mmio"
	#    Option     "no_mmio"
	#    Option     "lcd_center"
	#    Option     "no_stretch"
EndSection

All other options are just listed for completeness, but commented out,
since X runs stable without them.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
  Frank