Re: Smart relay setting for Exim...

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 07:39:51PM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>I use my laptop both at home and at work. I've been completely unable
>to send email to a few mailing lists for some reason, and have narrowed
>it down to Exim complaining about retry timeouts connecting to their
>mail servers. When I switched to using my ISP's smart relay, everything
>started working properly.
>
>My question, is there a way to configure Exim to use my ISP's SMTP
>server and my SMTP server at work without having to manually change
>settings when I go from one place to the other?

I have a grotty DNS hack to do something like this for my home gateway
machine which works using a cablemodem most of the time, but falls
back to dialup when necessary. To do this, I have defined a ".mail"
zone and configured all mail to use "wibble.mail" as a smart host.

# ROUTERS
#
# Send all mail to a smarthost
smarthost:
  driver = domainlist
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = "*.mossbank.org.uk $domain bydns; \
                * wibble.mail bydns_mx"

"mossbank.org.uk" is the internal house domain, BTW.

I then have a script in the ppp setup/shutdown directories that will
move the appropriate zone file for .mail into place when network
interfaces change. That way I can send mail regardless of network
state and even queued mail will be sent to the right smarthost.

Zone example:

@               IN      SOA lump.mossbank.org.uk. postmaster.mossbank.org.uk. (
                                1        ; Serial (yymmddxx)
                                10800           ; Refresh 3 hours
                                3600            ; Retry   1 hour
                                3600000         ; Expire  1000 hours
                                86400 )         ; Minimum 24 hours

@               IN      NS              lump.mossbank.org.uk.

wibble  IN      A               127.0.0.1
        IN MX 1 smtp.ntlworld.com.

Hope this helps...

  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer