Re: got stuck in dpkg-available-cache

Hello Bjoern.
I didn't follow the thread,  but maybe could add some general hints ?
> Although dselect uses apt, it seems to have it's own information cache,
> which is not updated by performing apt-get update.
> But anyway, I still have no clue how to clean up the mess that I caused in
> both systems.
> Bjoern

Perhaps you can begin cleaning up from dselect with
'apt-method' of update, which is running an implied apt-get clean.

Have a look at
man apt-get --> options "dselect-upgrade" and "apt-get clean"
and also option  "--list-cleanup".

Also, in the aptitude-manpage, there's an interesting §:

---------- v

Aptitude::Track-Dselect-State
			 If this is set, Aptitude will watch the dselect state
			of a package and alter its own internal state whenever
			this changes.  You almost certainly want this to be
			on -- in fact, I'm not entirely certain that turning
			it off will work >=)  (if you care, please test
			Aptitude with this option off and let me know what
			breaks so I can fix it)
			 This was added to fix the "Aptitude and dselect fight
			over package states" bug in 0.0.3 .
default: true

good luck !

--