Re: APM or KDE stupid bug, i guess...

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:11:43AM +0000, Paulo Lopes wrote:

> I've compiled the kernel 2.4.20 and the bug is this:
>
> When i'm on batery power, everytime the KDE starts the PowerSavings
> the laptop just hangs, the image freezes, and even if i try i can't
> switch to text mode.

My Dell Inspiron 8000 has a buggy APIC, and I have heard that many other
laptops do, too.  When I had APIC enabled, some of power management
worked fine, but unplugging or plugging in the power adapter caused a
hang.  When I recompiled without APIC support, everything worked fine.
This may or may not solve your problem, but it is worth trying.

Note that this is APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller), not
ACPI (unfortunate choice of acronyms).

I think there is a kernel boot param "noapic" that you can try without
having to recompile the kernel.

I learned this previously from watching this mailing list.  Thanks go to
the many people who have shared their knowledge and experience with the
rest of us.

...Marvin