Re: wireless network problems

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the advice. As you can see from another post I just made to this list, I'm about to reinstall woody (probably this weekend.) When I'm up and running again I'll try your suggestion. Yes, I am connected to a hub--a wireless gateway made by Lucent called the RG-1000, which acts as a dhcp server, which is why I chose "managed" mode. I wonder if "auto" mode might work?

Tim

debian@ausipos.com wrote:

Jeff wrote:

Tim Folger, 2003-Dec-20 19:54 -0700:
Hi,

I'm relatively new to Linux, and have installed debian woody with the bf2.4 kernel. I'm having trouble getting my orinoco wireless card to work. The card beeps during startup, and its green light flickers, but doesn't stay on. When I run iwconfig eth1 the output gives the correct essid and nickname, but says that the encryption key is turned off, even though I've specified a key in /etc/network/interfaces. Here's what I've entered in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth1 inet dhcp
wireless_essid (my network name)
wireless_mode managed
wireless_key (a combination of five numbers and letters)
wireless_nick (computer's nickname)
wireless_channel 10

Is there another parameter I need to enter to turn on wireless encryption? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

If this is a PCMCIA card, then you have to specify these parameters in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts.  Those settings in /etc/network/interfaces
is for ISA/PCI based cards.

jc

I beg to differ! I am using a pcmcia card in my asusand mys settings are all in /etc/network/interfaces
-works fine for me!

I presume you are connecting to a hub thus the managed network?

try iwpriv eth1 force_reset to reset the card perhaps...

Ben.