Re: IBM T22 dvd, cd, & mp3 playback

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:36:01 -0500
Michael Waters <baobabs@rogers.com> wrote:

Howdy Michael,

> I'm planning on buying a refurbished IBM T22 or T30 to use partially
> to playback dvd & mpeg4 movies and music.  I'd prefer to get a T22 and
> save a lot of money but was wondering whether the T22's S3 SuperSavage
> video and Cirrus Logic CS46xx sound are up to playing back dvds.

I sitting right in front of a T30 (2366-97G) with *full* Linux support.

> I've read a few reports of problems with S3 video and xv on the
> mplayer list.  I've read that there's no 3D support for S3 but I'd
> like to have excellent dvd playback without any tearing or jitteryness
> as well as good sound and was hoping for any positive or negative
> reports from T22 owners to help make a decision.

AFAIK there are some beta drivers for XFree 4.3 with XV and partial DRI
support for S3 Savage cards. IIRC Alan Cox wrote DRM modules for the
kernel. The whole thing still seems to be in early development, but
that's just what I can tell from another posts.

Cheers,
Serge