Re: installing debian 3.0 on a toshiba laptop

Hey,

  had the same problem and "solved" it like Yannick described below.

  Boot in runlevel 1 (maintenance mode). In order to do that you need to
enter "<linux> 1" on the lilo prompt. You need to replace <linux> with
the name of your kernel, which should be "linux" after the default
install.

  In runlevel 1, rename (=mv oldname newname) the SXXpcmcia script to
e.g. zXXpcmcia, so that pcmcia is not started automatically. I don't
have the laptop handy anymore as my hdd didn't behave, but I believe it
is in /etc/rc3.d .. Also have a look in /etc/rc2.d. I am always confused
by the debian runlevels.

  Then go to runlevel "3" (I believe). You do that with entering "init
3". All should be fine, but pcmcia.

  That is only fixing the symptoms, but for me that solved everything,
as a newer version of the pcmcia package does just fine and I just use
woody for bootstrapping and switch to unstable after the base system is
installed.

  www.linux-laptop.net has nice stuff for you, though nothing on the
pcmcia thing.

  The laptop worked very nicely for me (5200-902). The only caveat was
that the display showed an occassional flicker. See other thread in the
list archives.

  Btw. The new installer is supposed to have a newer version of pcmcia,
but is "only" in beta-stadium at the moment. Never installed a laptop
with it, but a desktop was working fine with the new installer.

  Stay with debian. It's tough at the beginning, but you'll never turn
back again once you are flying.

Cheers,
Mariano
ps. Regarding this exact problem I got help from Chris Hall(s) at the
Debian booth at Linux World Expo in Frankfurt this year ;-)