installing debian 3.0 on a toshiba laptop

Hi,

I'm trying to install debian woody 3.0 r1 on a
toshiba
satellite 5200-800.

I'm installing from a CD-Rom. Everything is going
fine
during the installation process (except the PCMCIA:
if
I try to install it, the computer freezes).

But, when I re-boot the computer, I get a kernel
panic
after a few hexadecimal code lines.
I've tried to install different flavors, with
different boot-options and different drivers, but
nothing will work.

What is funny is that Knoppix 3.3 seems to work all
right. I installed it on another partition of the
hard
drive. From there, I am able to have a look at the
partition where I am trying to install Debian. Using
"chroot" command, I can edit the "fstab" and run
"config-base", which works fine except for the apt
configuration (the program cannot recognize my
CDROM).
Configuring lilo manually (I also tried several
options), I hoped to succeed in booting Debian, but
again, I got the dreaded "kernel panic".

Ten nights work or so have not been enough to solve
the problem, so I'm asking for some help: what
should
I do?

I'm totally new to GNU/Linux - please help me not to

yannick