How to make touchpad more responsive?

Hi all,

I have a Dell D600 running under kernel 2.4.23 and XFree86 4.3.0
The screen resolution is 1400x1050.

Great machine, but there is one thing irritating me alot:

To move the pointer across one of the screen diagonals using the
touchpad I have to slide a finger across the pad some 3.5 times.

Is there a way to make the touchpad more responsive?

By the way, I have search the web extensively the last few days,
and have problems figuring out whether the Pentium-M processor
is a CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII or a CONFIG_MPENTIUM4. My impression is
that most people say PENTIUM4, but based on the core content of
my web-search I have compiled it as a PENTIUMIII.

I guess that it doesn't really matter that much, since people
happily uses both options...

Cheers,
Pål

--
Pål Dahle                                     Norwegian Computing Center
Research Scientist                            Gaustadalléen 23