umlauts, accents in Xterm with (x)emacs

Hey emacsers,

posted this to debian-users but hadn't realized there was a separate
emacs list, apologies for the cross-listing:
I occasionally write in french and german and just recently noticed
that umlauted and accented characters which now work fine in bash,
openoffice, and mozilla, do not work in emacs or xemacs.

I can't remember whether they ever worked for me in emacs.  is there a
trick -- something special that needs to go in my .init.el, for
instance?  I've recently been messing with my config files, so I may
have screwed something up -- but the accents don't seem to work for me
on any of my machines, so I suspect the problem is more fundamental
than that.

to be more specific, accents & umlauts display just fine, and typing
them also seems to work fine when xemacs is run without the -nw switch
-- that is, when it opens up its own x-based 'frame' or window.  I can
also type them when running (x)emacs from the console.  But in an
xterm, emacs seems to interpret the characters as control- or
meta-keystrokes of some kind.

Unfortunately I often run emacs over ssh, and xterm is definitely my
preferred mode.  Any suggestions?

thx,

matt