RE: Debian Users...

While KDE was specifically mentioned, I don't think anyone is implying that any other Window Manager magically doesn't use more CPU/RAM than a plain old console.

I use IceWM on my puny old laptops ~because~ it has very few bells and whistles.

Logic can be used to discern that having more active applications running at any one time will use more resources and therefore lower battery life.
It does not matter if the additional applications are part of your desktop or window manager or a cron job to delete temp files or old logs.  They all use more resources than just editing a file with vi or something.

-Jason