modem and no ping

Hello,

I apologize for my delayed reply, I posted a question approx. one month ago,
but did not find time to proceed, here is my reply:

(the problem was, that I am working on two networks and when I tried to
connect via modem, it shows up as connected but without ping results)

[copy of the last mail in the archive:]
>also sprach Martin Wegmann <mailinglist.wegmann@web.de> [2003.10.07.1448
+0200]:
> >baliola@diomedea:/$ /sbin/route -n
> >Kernel IP routing table
> >Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
> >145.253.1.121   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
> >10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
> >0.0.0.0         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0
>> baliola@diomedea:/$ ping -c 2 www.yahoo.com

>your problem is here. the last entry should be the default route to
>the provider.

>does your /etc/ppp/peers/provider file contain the 'defaultroute'
>option?

yes it shows up with the defaultroute option.

# These are the options to dial out to your default service provider.
# Please customize them correctly. Only the "provider" file will be
# handled by poff and pon (unless with extra command line arguments).

# You usually need this if there is no PAP authentication
noauth

# The chat script (be sure to edit that file, too!)
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"

# Set up routing to go through this PPP link
defaultroute

# Default modem (you better replace this with /dev/ttySx!)
/dev/modem

# Speed
38400

# Keep modem up even if connection fails
persist

how do I set the defaultroute? does is not interfer with the network config?
thanks for your help, cheers Martin