Re: wireless configuration questions

Tim Folger wrote:
> I'm a linux newbie, and have just installed debian woody with the 2.4.18
> kernel on a fujitsu laptop. I've installed wireless tools and pcmcia
> support.  I have an orinoco gold card that I'm trying to configure, and
> think I"m almost there. I've entered my network essid, encryption key,
> wireless rate, and wireless mode parameters in
> /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, and have entered the following  to the
> /etc/network/interfaces file: iface eth1 inet dhcp. Do I need to add
> anything else to the interfaces file? Or will the wireless.opts file
> handle everything? (Or do those two files conflict with one another, and
> I should only be editing one of them?) The problem I'm having is that
> when I activate the configuration using korinoco, the card lights up,
> and iwconfig eth1 gives the correct network values, but I can't connect
> to the internet. (And KDE runs very slowly, and takes a long time to
> load when I use korinoco.) Are there some other parameters or commands I
> need to enable internet access for my wireless network?

There is no reason to mix these two configuration methods. Either
conigure that interface entirely using /etc/pcmcia/network.opts and
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, or do it entirely using
/etc/network/interfaces (see /usr/share/doc/wireless-tools/README.Debian).

What you're trying to do might work, but I got lost in 700 lines of
grody shell code trying to figure out if it would. As good a reason as
any to avoid the pcmcia scripts entirely and use only
/etc/network/interfaces.

# pcmcia card, possibly wireles
iface eth2 inet static
        address 192.168.1.5