can't configure orinoco gold card on woody

Hi,

I'm new to Linux, but somehow managed to install Debian Woody on a Fujitsu laptop. I installed the 2.4.18 kernel, configured pcmcia support, and installed the orinoco and hermes drivers during the "configure device driver module stage of the installation." After installing the base system and rebooting I installed synaptic, KDE, and wireless tools. But I haven't been able to get my orinoco gold card to work. I've edited the wireless options file in /etc/pcmcia, and my wireless card beeps twice during startup, and its green lights flicker, but don't stay on. When I run "iwconfig eth1" in a console it says no essid is specified, even though I have set the essid, encryption key, and a few other settings in wirelessopts. What am I missing? If I can get this to work I'll be free of Windows!

Tim