please help with D-Link 650+

Hi,

It must be a simple question for the one who knows. I'm trying to get my
D-Link 650+ PCMCIA wireless card to work. I think I have read all the
relevant docs, but still can't figure it out.

I have built and installed linux-wlan-ng under unstable. Compiled
everything from source, both the kernel (2.4.22) and the linux-wlan-ng
modules. Everything seems in order. When I stick the card into the slot,
I get the following in dmesg:

cs: cb_alloc(bus 3): vendor 0x104c, device 0x8400
PCI: Enabling device 03:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)

lspci seems to return the sensible info:

02:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 100 22Mbps Wireless Interface

and cardctl ident also makes sense:

Socket 0:
  product info: "Wireless Network CardBus PC Card", "Global", "", ""
  manfid: 0x0097, 0x8402
  function: 6 (network)

Now, I added the following to my /etc/network/interafces file:

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wireless_mode managed

Here is what I get when I run ifup wlan0

# ifup wlan0
wlanctl-ng: No such device
Failed to enable the device, exitcode= 1 .
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng-pre-up exited with
return code 1
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools exited with return
code 251
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.1rc11
Copyright 1995-2002 Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Bind socket to interface: No such device

I definitely recognize the latter portion as my dchp3-client output.
What is the "Failed to enable the device, exitcode= 1 ." error about?
Have I failed to compile some modules? I have the following relevant
options in the kernel:
CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
CONFIG_HERMES=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES=m
CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA_RADIO=y

The two HERMES modules are never loaded. Is there anything else I'm
missing? I have to confess that I am a newbie in wireless matters. I'm
trying to ifup wlan0 in the absence of any signal. Maybe this is what I
should get and maybe things will look different when I have an access
point to use. Please let me know if you know.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://ebner.neuroscience.umn.edu/people/alex.html
Dept. of Neuroscience, Lions Research Building