Re: Laptop hardware not detected my Debian

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 01:16:54AM +0100, Jorge Castro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed Debian/Linux version 3.0.23 on my Dell Inspirion
> 5150
> laptop (along with WindowsXP).
>
> So far I have had limited success: the kernel and utilities run, but I
> believe a lot of hardware was not detected: can't use modem, graphics card, usb floppy, and just about
> everything on the PCI bus.
> (the CDROM (and HD) drive was detected and seems fine)

if the problem is the *Unknown* outputted by lscpi you just have to
update your pci.ids database (man lspci and
http://pciids.sourceforge.net)

[...]
> What are my options at this point to get the modem going?

24c6  82801DB AC'97 Modem Controller

it's a softmodem, try http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php
or http://www.linmodems.org/

what are the problems with other devices?

ciao
--
mattia
:wq!