Re: Kernel weirdness

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn said on Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:42:53PM +0200:
> On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Rob wrote:
>
> > I've installed the kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686 package. Until now, I've
> > been running the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel. Though I didn't change what
> > modules I load, with this new kernel package have come a whole bunch of
> > new modules that are being loaded. I've run modconfig and removed them,
> > but they continue to to load at boot.
>
> This insane behaviour is caused by initrd:

The behavior is not insane.  Prior to 2.4.20, the IDE driver was monolithic.
As of 2.4.21, it got split into a bunch of chipset specific drivers.  The
kernel maintainer wisely decided to not change the existing functional behavior
of the kernel, and so loads all of those drivers anyway since he doesn't know
which of them you are using.

If it really bothers you, make a new initrd.img with only the IDE driver that
you need.