RE: samba printing

Hi Folk :)

I have an epson c82 and it took me ages to get it to work with CUPS and
samba. First, samba.

Here's (a snippet of) my smb.conf, maybe something will help you there.

[global]
        admin users = root
        printer admin = stephane
        printcap name = cups
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No
        public = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        writable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printers Drivers
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = no
        read only = yes
        write list = root

This allows clients to automatically download the drivers when mapping the
printer. Also, when configuring CUPS, I would strictly follow their website
(www.cups.org). This is how my printers.conf looks like:

<DefaultPrinter epson_c82>
Info
Location
DeviceURI usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82		<-- note the usb:// here
State Stopped
StateMessage Paused
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

I am assuming you're using the USB version of the printer. If it's
parallele, usb:// will look different.

I think you'll need to use smbpasswd to create an account for the printer.
Also, according to your workgroup/domain settings, you'll need to add the
printer using the admin account (root in my case), otherwise you'll get
priviledges problems.

Again, the CUPS website got me started... If you want the clients to
automatically download the printer's drivers, you have to put a few PPDs and
other files in /usr/share/cups/model, but that's another discussion.

Hope this helps.

--Stéphane